Thursday, December 18, 2008

The view from the snowy ditch.

Well this isn't really Gilmore Lake related other than the fact that the same snow and ice that fell on Gilmore fell on county road 40.

I plowed the car into the ditch yesterday morning on the way to Nevis. The intersection of co rd 40 and co rd 2 north of Nevis was glare ice and as soon as I touched the brakes the rear end of my car shot out to the side. I almost got it corrected when the front tires hit bare pavement and jerked us the other way and at that point there was no getting it back straight. I told Connel to hold on tight as we plowed into the ditch sideways on the passenger side. Fortunately we were only going about 25 MPH when we started to spin out so we didn't flip or go too far into the ditch. A guy we know came by a few minutes later and had a shovel and tow strap and pulled us out with ease! I was glad it happened yesterday and not the day before when the temp was -32 with a steady NW wind. I noticed last night when I drove by that intersection again that many people had slid through the stop sign and into the shoulder on the other side, hopefully the county will at least get it sanded.

Connel commented how wonderful it was that we live in an area that almost every car stopped and asked if we were okay and if we needed help or to use a cell phone. Only 1 car out of 10 didn't stop and they were on co rd 2 so they would have had to turn onto 40 to check on us (3 cars did do this). Despite the snow and cold I do love living here.


Take care and stay warm

Jon

No comments: