Sunday, November 30, 2008

Fish Bowl

I was on the ice for the first time today. Kevin Lund skated over across the lake yesterday so I figured the lake must be safe!



The lake froze over on a calm and snow less night so the ice is beautiful and clear. I figure we have at least a solid 4 inches everywhere and more towards the shore. It is like a sheet of glass! Imagine a glass bottom boat. Our ice rink is officially open for the 2008-2009 season! The ice is so clear in most spots that you can see the bottom in water up to about 15 feet deep. I saw some fish and many submerged logs and the weeds look interesting through the ice. If you have never experienced clear ice like that it is a beautiful site. While on the ice I just stopped for a while and listened to the ice tones, ah peace and relaxation, what a stress reliever. Glad I got to enjoy the clear ice before any snow and very soon the kids and I will have the surface all carved up with skate tracks.



I also spotted an eagle that landed on the ice and appeared to enjoy a meal it had captured and carried onto the ice......... I tried to get a picture but as soon as I went outside it flew off.



Hope your holiday was wonderful.



Jon



Partly sunny and 30+ degrees today.

No comments: