Friday, April 17, 2009

Loon Calls and Northern MN Swimming!

The awesome weather has continued and the snow is pretty much gone! We have about 15 feet of open water in front of the house and the dog was in the water Wednesday night chasing minnows so he was the first in the lake this year. On Wednesday night I was stacking some wood in the wood bin by our lake side fire pit and stop dead in my tracks by the majestic Tremolo call of the Loon!Ahhh what a sound it amazes me that it can have such an effect on me. The Loon was circling the lake looking for open water, it flew around it twice with its Tremolo call every few minutes, it was almost like it was telling the lake to hurry up already and shed its ice so it can get down to the business of spring (wink wink). On the way to work on Thursday I noticed the open water on the South side of Little Sand had several Loons gliding through the open water. On my trip home I noticed even more, must have been about 10 in all.

Thursday brought more nice weather and the first human swimmers to Lake Gilmore (at least at my house) Connel fell in up to his knees while climbing on the rocks next to the beach and Kiana tripped and slid off the bank and all the way in! Boy did she scream! Connel was right there to grab her and haul her into the house. When I asked her what it was like as she was warming up in the shower she said "very cold daddy", she is just under 3 years old. It wont be too much longer and the kids will be in the lake every day, for me I wont be in that water until sometime in July!

Take Care

Jon


Jon

No comments: